Brewing at home essentials : V60 Pour Over Coffee Guide
Smile Tiger’s Hario V60 Pour Over Brew Guide
The Hario V60 Pour Over allows for a simple hands-on brewing process that relies on the technique of the brewer.
We use a 1:16 brew ratio (1 gram of coffee per 16 grams of water)
What You’ll Need:
- Hario V60
- Hario V60 Filter
- Carafe or drinking vessel
- Scale (recommended)
Perfectly Brewed in 2:45 minutes
- Unfold the V60 filter, making it into a cone, and place it into the V60.
- Rinse and pre-heat the filter and V60 with hot water. Discard rinsing water
- Weigh out 18g of coffee and grind it slightly coarser than the consistency of sand. (Baratza Encore setting #18-22)
- Add coffee to the filter, gently tap the side to level out the bed of coffee, and then tare the scale to zero.
- Bring water to 95°C. If you don't have a temperature controlled kettle, you can bring the water to a boil and then allow it to sit for 1 min.
- Start the timer and pour just enough water (50g) to saturate your grounds to pre-infuse your coffee for 30 seconds. Gently stir to get all the grinds evenly wet.
- After 30 seconds, continue adding water in a circular motion without touching the sides of the brewer. Pour until the scale reads 150g.
- At 1 min at another 100g of water in circular motion (scale should read 250g).
- Finally at 1:30 min pour the last 50g of water and quickly rinse down the sides of the brewer to clean up the grinds. Give your brewer a short gentle swivel.
- Allow your water to completely drain through. Discard grounds and filter and enjoy!